Benefits of Blueberries for Skin
Are Blueberries Good for your Skin? Here are some Benefits of Blueberries for Skin.
Berries are highly nutritious fruits with vitamin C and antioxidants in abundance amongst other nutrients. Today, we will be talking about the superfood that is highly beneficial for your skin as it is for your health and well-being, blueberries. Blueberries are low on calories, and high on nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Folate, Manganese, and antioxidants as anthocyanins. Eating blueberries is also equally beneficial for your heart health, diabetes, as well as brain health. Consuming this superfood brings a lot of benefits to the skin too. Let us go through the many benefits of blueberries for the skin.
Benefits of Blueberries for Skin
- Helps Skin Fight Effects of Sun and other Environmental Aggressors. Free radicals are naturally produced in the body. But, UV rays from the sun and other environmental aggressors along with smoking increase the production of free radicals in the skin. Overproduction of free radicals damages skin cells and lowers the production of collagen. This leads to wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and dull, saggy skin, and loose skin.
Anthocyanins are antioxidants present in blueberries that help protect the skin against harsh environmental aggressors. These antioxidants work by inactivating the highly reactive free radicals by providing them an electron. Neutralizing the free radicals helps in reducing the effects of UV rays, pollution, smoke, dust, and smoking.
- Repairs Skin Cells. Vitamin C present in blueberries along with the antioxidants helps fight free radicals and thus, repairing the skin cells and tissues. Vitamin A (retinoids) in blueberries also helps in the production of new skin cells.
- Increases Collagen Production. Collagen is a naturally occurring substance in the body that decreases in the body as you age. The presence of vitamins A and C along with antioxidants anthocyanins helps decrease the breakdown of collagen while increasing its production.
- Improves Skin Elasticity. Blueberries help in increasing the production of collagen, the exact reason to have an increment in skin elasticity. This means an increase in collagen leads to an increase in the elasticity of the skin.
- Helps Diminish Signs of Aging. From fighting free radicals and repairing skin cells to increasing collagen and improving skin elasticity, vitamin C, A, and antioxidants in blueberries do all the job. In the end, these nutrients help diminish signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, and saggy & loose skin.
- Gives you Plump and Younger-looking Skin. An increase in skin collagen and an improvement in skin elasticity with the help of vitamin C and antioxidants help give you plump and youthful skin.
- Improves Skin Texture and Brings back the Glow. Reduction in free radicals and the building up of new skin cells tend to give you a good skin texture. Vitamin E in blueberries also helps to bring back the lost glow.
- Induces Quick Wound Healing. Eating blueberries loaded with vitamin C and K helps relieve the wounds while the power to fight free radicals helps in quicker healing.
- Reduce Inflammation due to Acne. Blueberries contain low levels of glycemic which helps in reducing inflammation caused due to acne.
- Might Help with Psoriasis and Eczema. Often, Psoriasis and Eczema are also caused because of a diet low on antioxidants. Since blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, they can help in the reduction of inflamed skin conditions like Psoriasis and Eczema.
Foods Rich in Vitamin C and Other Antioxidants
There are many other superfoods rich in vitamin C, A, K, and antioxidants. All the berries like strawberries, raspberries, goji berries, acai berries, mulberries, cranberries, and citrus fruits like lemons are loaded with antioxidants. But, blueberries have been termed a superfood because they contain a larger quantity of vitamins and antioxidants.
Who Can Eat Blueberries?
Anyone can and everyone should eat blueberries as they are naturally sourced superfoods with truckloads of benefits for the skin and the body. Blueberries are eaten fresh and dried. However, eating fresh blueberries is a better option than eating them dried. Also, maintain a proper daily quantity of eating blueberries. Consult your dietician to know the quantity you can consume as per your age and diet needs.
How else can Skin Benefit from Blueberries?
Apart from eating them, your skin will benefit by using them topically in skin care products. We do not recommend the use of crushing and using raw blueberries on the skin as this may cause infection to sensitive or acne-prone skin. However, they are completely safe to use in skincare products as an extract. Your skin will reap even more benefits from blueberries when used topically.
Which Skin Type can use Blueberries in Skincare products?
Blueberries are extremely healthy in skin care products too for every skin type. Why? Because vitamin C, A, K, and antioxidants are the necessity of every skin type. Be it oily skin, dry skin, or sensitive skin, everyone goes through the harsh effects of UV rays and environmental aggressors that breaks down the skin collagen and leads to a reduction in skin elasticity. This is why everyone can use skincare products with blueberries as they help in fighting free radicals, increasing collagen production, increasing skin elasticity, and fighting all signs of aging.
These blueberry under-eye patches are packed with the power of antioxidants, vitamin C, A, and K that help fight free radicals under the eyes. These patches give a boost of glow to the under-eyes instantly relieving you of puffiness and eye bags. Regular use of these patches helps to increase the production of collagen and improves skin elasticity. They help prevent all signs of aging like wrinkles, dark circles, crow’s feet, and saggy and loose skin. These patches are also packed with hyaluronic acid that hydrates your under-eyes and keeps them moisturized for glowing and younger-looking skin.